Friday, October 21, 2011

Requested Essay: My Life-Changing Friend

Before you read it, I want to thank my true life-changing friend. This story is pretty much true except certain parts. =P Hope I do not somehow offend anyone though... (>.<)

Continuous Writing: Write a story which begins with the following: School will never be the same now that my best friend has gone.

School will never be the same now that my best friend has gone. I never thought that a friend could mean so much to me. He gradually changed my life ever since we met one another. We rarely spoke to one another back in the year 2008 when we were classmates.

Arthur was my classmate back then and nothing more. However, I made friends and somehow got to know more about him. He gave me an impression he was a person who only knew how to joke about without taking anything seriously. He was always laughing and smiling. He often said things that made the teachers mad.

I used to always write poems back then. I wrote about everything that happened to me. I wrote about my friends as well. Those poems would be uploaded onto a website meant for us poets to share our works. Back in 2008, I made a huge mistake and ended up heartbroken. My other friend, Tulip, who is a girl, was part of the cause for my heartache that did not heal until months later.

Tulip told Kenneth, the heart-breaker and Arthur, my life-changing friend about me posting poems online. Kenneth, being who he really was, did not really apologize for what he did to me. Surprisingly, Arthur comforted me and told Kenneth off for being so mean.

Kenneth turned out to be my only true friend after all even though he and I were not that close. He amazed me because he just did not seem to be the type of person who would care about others so much. Him having defended me made me realize that he was not only a classmate.

In 2009, I started having problems with friends. Sadly, I do not recall doing anything that chased them away. Once again, I started writing poems about them leaving me. They read the poems online and eventually no longer talked to me. Arthur misunderstood me and told me hateful things. That was one of the hardest thing to overcome in my whole life. I cried day after day until he apologized.

All the while I had been crying and even after his apology, I kept on thinking back, trying to change who I was back then. I realized that no one liked me being sensitive, emotional and morbid. To be honest, I tried to commit suicide ever since the heartbreak.

Arthur's words may have struck a nerve and truly hurt my feelings but what he said was most probably true. I was being selfish and I never thought of asking my old friends the reason for abruptly avoiding me.

It was only in the year 2009 when Arthur and I became close friends. We would always have something to talk about. We even talked online. We were practically inseparable. We comforted one another, helped one another and watched each other's back.

We helped each other with our studies. This year, 2011, I found out that I have a personality disorder known as Avoidant Personality Disorder (AvPD). People did not know so they continued being unconsciously harsh to me. He still stayed by my side even after knowing about the disorder.

One day, he had to leave to study overseas and may not be coming back. He became so incredibly busy over there that he no longer got in touch with me. He also stopped staying in touch with our other friends. I have always thought of how life would be like without him. Well, I admit now that I did not mean it when I thought about that.

As much as I want him back here physically by my side, he will most likely never come back. I was depressed for the first few weeks of his absence but when I finally had the courage to think of what he brought to my life, I decided to thank fate for bringing us together back in the year 2008.

I want to thank him for defending me when I could not fight back. He was there to nag when I gave up studying after failing a test. He patiently listened to my complaints and sob stories. He was there to make me smile ear to ear and laugh the loudest. He is the best friend anyone would ask for.

Thinking back now, he changed my view of life and changed me. I am now a much more cheerful person. I understand people better and have made more true friends. All these were precious gifts from him to me. I hope he has a better life overseas and wherever he goes because he deserves it all. Thank you, my life-changing friend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My own comment: Okay, so this essay could have been better. Less history-like and more..."impact" for the readers. Who knows, I just might rewrite in the future - just with a different theme and title. ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment